1. What did you do in 2012 that you’d never done before?
Attended an SEC football game.
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I still have not decided where I stand on "New Year's Resolutions" exactly.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
No, but some of the kids E graduated with from high school did, which is disturbing on so many levels.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
We lost Pa, Chip's dad. And it has been immeasurably painful for all of us. And we lost Dyllan, Elijah's childhood friend, which still doesn't feel real to me.
5. What countries did you visit?
Oh believe me -- Washington Parish, Louisiana, is foreign enough, thanks.
6. What would you like to have in 2013 that you lacked in 2012?
A paid vacation. A 401K. Gluten-free cupcakes.
7. What dates from 2012 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
January 16. When we returned home from burying Dad in St. Louis, and Elijah went back to his apartment at school, and it became quite apparent that life was about to dramatically change for Chip and me.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Landing this awesome job with this really awesome company.
9. What was your biggest failure?
Getting laid off from the old one. Although you know what? Fuck that. I ended up with the better end of that deal for sure.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
I found out I should've stopped eating wheat gluten 19 years go.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
Cup-for-Cup flour mix that allows me to still make cookies.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
Malala, the 15-year-old who was shot in the head by the Taliban because she advocated for the education of girls (who are banned from going to school where she lives).
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
Where to start? The Republican rape guys? Lance Armstrong? Candidates who think telling boldface lies is a legitimate political strategy?
14. Where did most of your money go?
Large cranberry iced teas at Sonic. (Half-priced every day between 2-4!)
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Moving to southeast Louisiana, where Saints games are televised every single week.
16. What song will always remind you of 2012?
"Amazing Grace." I sang it at Dyllan's funeral.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you: a) happier or sadder? b) thinner or fatter? c) richer or poorer?
b) about the same
c) no idea
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
20. How will you be spending Christmas?
In Memphis with my boy
21. What was your favorite TV program?
Castle. And Big Bang Theory reruns.
22. What was the best book you read?
23. What was your favorite music from this year?
Bad Books "Forest Whitaker"
Reznor & O's "Immigrant Song"
Ball Park Music "It's Nice to be Alive"
Two Door Cinema Club "Sleep Alone"
ZZ Ward "Put the Gun Down"
Royal Teeth "Wild" (They're from NOLA)
There are other songs I liked earlier in the year, but they turned out to be this year's Pumped Up Kicks, so now I don't want to list them.
26. What did you want and get?
Two things: A Kitchen Aid stand-up mixer and an Epiphanie camera bag. SCORE!
27. What did you want and not get?
An eye lift.
28. What was your favorite film of this year?
Beasts of the Southern Wild. This movie BLEW ME AWAY. "Nobody likes a pity-party-havin'-ass woman." It was sad and powerful and beautiful and at its heart is about finding your strength.
29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 46 and I was working a news conference in Monroe, La., for my company. In the rain. And then I got home in time to watch the Saints on Monday Night Football, so it wasn't a total wash. And I got that stand-up mixer.
30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
My year was pretty damn satisfying -- the second half of it at least. I suppose any year is made immeasurably better by a relaxing beach vacation, though, right?
31. How would you describe your personal style concept in 2012?
Bad-ass professional woman. (2013 will be the year of short hair. It's the anti-cocker spaniel hair.)
32. What kept you sane?
33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
34. What political issue stirred you the most?
The War on Women.
35. Who did you miss?
Greg House. After my friends and family in Memphis, I mean.
36. Who was the best new person you met?
I'm a little sad to admit that I haven't really made any friends in my new hometown yet. Meeting Jason at the LSU-Ole Miss game was fun.
37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2012.
38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
"There's still some living left when your prime comes and goes." (Jimmy Eat World, Big Casino)
2011, 2010, 2009, 2008, 2007